Health and Wellness Resources
The Colorado Legacy Foundation believes that increased student achievement for all Colorado students requires effective leaders in every school, effective educators in every classroom, and healthy and engaged students who come to school ready to learn.
Healthy students, attending safe and welcoming schools, perform better in the classroom and are more successfully prepared for life after graduation and college. The research supports this clearly established link between health and academics. That is why the Colorado Legacy Foundation takes a comprehensive and strategic approach to supporting school health and wellness in Colorado’s K-12 public education system.
Our efforts to assist the translation of education and health policy into practice focus on several key strategies:
- Convening thought leaders to foster innovation, capacity-building and sustainability in state and local school wellness efforts;
- Exchanging information, building awareness, developing resources, and providing training around best practices in school nutrition, health education, physical activity, school health services, bullying prevention and workplace wellness;
- Supporting the promotion, adoption, and implementation of Colorado’s new comprehensive health education and updated physical education standards;
- Awarding of health and wellness and bullying prevention incentive grants to schools and districts;
- Assessing and monitoring progress through the Healthy Schools Champion Scorecard, and;
- Highlighting success and lessons learned through case studies and recognition awards.